Learn about Surrey's policies regarding properties that house or manufacture controlled substances.

Properties in the City of Surrey identified as being used for the manufacture, storage, growing or sale of controlled substances such as marihuana or methamphetamine must meet health and safety requirements before people are allowed to occupy the property.

The City of Surrey Bylaw & Licensing Section performs several functions relating to the Controlled Substance Property Bylaw, 2006, No. 15820 (the “Bylaw”).

  • Invoices property owners for special safety inspections performed by the Electrical Fire Safety Inspection team.

  • Invoices property owners for dismantling costs incurred by the RCMP.

  • Ensures controlled substance properties are remediated to the City’s requirements or demolished.

Confirming the Status of a Controlled Substance Property

The Bylaw & Licensing Section maintains records of controlled substance properties and their status.

Verbal Confirmation

Realtors and potential purchasers of properties can receive verbal confirmation regarding a property’s status by calling 604-591-4370.

Written Confirmation

If written documentation is required by a realtor or purchaser, a Comfort Letter can be obtained through the Planning and Development Department by filling out a Comfort Letter Form. Please note that there is a fee for this service. Contact 604-591-4441 for more information.

Property Owners

Property owners have specific responsibilities assigned by the Controlled Substance Property Bylaw in Surrey. Owners must:

  • Inspect rental properties at least every 3 months to ensure that the Bylaw is not being contravened.
  • Report any contraventions of the Bylaw to the RCMP.
  • Ensure remediation of the property is completed as required by the special safety Inspection.

For more information, contact the Bylaw & Licensing Section at 604-591-4370.