Delegations - Appearing Before Mayor & Council
Learn how to apply to appear before Surrey City Council as a delegation to bring forward your issues or concerns.
What is a delegation?
A delegation is the formal name for an individual or group who appear before City Council (or an Advisory Group of Council) in order to:
- make a presentation on a matter that is of broad interest and that falls within the jurisdiction of the City;
- initiate interest and guidance to a solution for an item of public concern; or
- bring Council up to date on a project, idea, or concept.
Council does not hear delegations regarding planning applications that have been held or will be held at a public hearing meeting.
How to apply to appear before Mayor & Council
- Requests need to be in writing, use our on-line form below or email the City Clerk at email@example.com. You may also send in your written request to our mailing address: 13450 - 104 Avenue, Surrey, B.C. V3T 1V8. Your letters/request forms are included as part of the Council Agenda, which is published on our website.
- All requests are reviewed by the City Clerk and forwarded to Council to make a decision. Not all delegation requests will be approved by Council. At Council's discretion, your request may be directed to other Sub-Committees or to staff.
- A member of the City Clerk's office will contact you with the decision of Council. If your request is approved by Council, you will be provided with further details including the meeting time and date and what specific Committee meeting you will attend.
Delegations are allotted 10 minutes to present, which includes a question and answer period from Mayor and Council. Keep your presentation brief and to the point. If you have a PowerPoint presentation, consider limiting it to the key points you wish to highlight and be as clear and concise as possible with your message.
Co-presenters will share your allotted 10 minute timeframe. If you do have another individual joining you, please provide their name and title for inclusion on the agenda.
Download the technical considerations required prior to submitting your presentation.
Delegation Request Form
To make a delegation request, please fill out the form below.
Please note that fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be completed.