See what you're allowed to build and how to build on your ALR property.

The Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) is a provincial zone in which agriculture is recognized as the priority use. Farming is encouraged and non-farm uses, such as residential dwellings, are restricted.

Find out if your land is on ALR land by using COSMOS or by checking the Agricultural Land Commission's website.

Residential Buildings on ALR land

One single family dwelling is permitted on a parcel of land in the ALR. One secondary suite for residential purposes, wholly contained within the single family dwelling, may also be permitted in the City of Surrey.

Any additional permanent dwelling, such as second single family dwelling, proposed for an immediate family member, or someone who is not a farm worker necessary for the farm's operation, is not a permitted use in the ALR.

An additional permanent dwelling (single family) or a second manufactured home for farm/ranch worker accommodation may only be permitted in the ALR if it is necessary for farm use (farm help).

Applying for an Additional Farm Worker Residence

To construct an additional permanent residence (second single family dwelling) proposed for farm workers you must apply to the Agricultural Land Commission for approval under Section 20 (3) of the ALCA and the City of Surrey to rezone the property. The permission for non-farm use will be considered by the ALC only if your application is referred to the ALC from Surrey City Council.

If the application is referred by the City and the ALC grants you approval, a rezoning to allow for an accessory farm worker dwelling would then be considered by Surrey City Council, based on the merit of the application.

Review our Guide to Additional Dwellings in the Agricultural Land Reserve for more details.

For more information, contact the Planning and Development Department at 604-591-4441 or