We have started a multi-year process to create a new community plan for Fleetwood. The process will help us plan for growth as the community changes and SkyTrain extends along Fraser Highway.
Tell Us What You Think
We are trying out a new online tool as part of our Fleetwood engagement. With the tool you can ask questions, participate in polls and surveys, share ideas and use mapping tools to help shape the Fleetwood Plan. Head over to the Fleetwood page to learn more about the plan and share your input.
The Fleetwood Plan Area measures approximately 858 hectares (2,118 acres) stretching form Green Timbers Urban Forest in the west towards the Agricultural Land Reserve in the east.
Process & Timeline
Step 1: Getting Started
Step 1 involves preliminary planning and engagement and sets the stage for a comprehensive planning process.
The planning process began in early summer with the preparation of background studies. This is typical with all City land use planning processes. Studies provide background and analysis necessary for land use planning. In this case, they also provided important information to support the Surrey Langley SkyTrain Business Case.
Background studies were initiated July 2019. They are comprehensive and usually undertaken by professional consultants. This usually means they take some time to ensure accurate and full information. The following background studies are either underway or have been completed within the Fraser Highway SkyTrain corridor:
- Market Study: A review of development opportunity and analysis of market demand for residential and commercial land uses. It also includes estimates and projections of absorption rates of new development.
Fraser Highway Skytrain Corridor (Market Supply and Demand Study)
- Environmental Study: An assessment of riparian, aquatic and terrestrial habitats, as well as vegetation and significant tree canopy. This highlights areas of environmental sensitivity for consideration in land use planning.
Fraser Highway Environmental Assessment
- Heritage Study: An inventory and assessment of key heritage buildings, trees and other features. It will also include a literature and archival scan of the Corridor. This will highlight areas and features of heritage significance for consideration in land use planning.
- Growth Forecasts: Preliminary population and employment forecasts will generate data for the SLS Business Case submission. This is part of the requirements to advance the SkyTrain project.
We hosted a preliminary open house on November 13, 2019. It was accompanied by an online survey. Information from the open house and survey will help start developing a vision for the future of Fleetwood.
Step 2: Exploring Options < We Are Here!
Starting in spring 2020 we will begin exploring options. The objectives will be to:
- Build awareness and a vision for Fleetwood
- Gather public input on key objectives & report back
- Confirm plan boundaries
- Tackle big challenges; and
- Explore growth options
Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, the City will be focusing on virtual engagement through this step in the planning process. This may involve online surveys, virtual stakeholder meetings, online workshops and a social media campaign. Work during this step includes:
- Developing a Vision and Plan Objectives.
- Generating a Growth Concept
- Exploring opportunities for new parks, schools, and other community amenities.
Look for future community engagement opportunities during this step in keeping with social distancing parameters. We will also remain available for direct telephone or email communications through the contact at the bottom of the page
Step 3: Developing the Plan
Once land use options have been explored and a preferred direction has emerged, we will being developing a draft plan. This step will involve comprehensive community engagement to help review and provide input. During this step we will work with the community to develop the following draft plan components:
- Land Use Concept
To illustrate potential building density, height and uses across the plan area.
- Transportation Concept
To illustrate the future road network, as well as proposed walking, cycling and transit infrastructure.
- Parks and Open Space Concept
To illustrate the location of future parks, plazas, open space and natural areas.
These three concepts typically make up the main parts of the draft plan. This step concludes with Council endorsement of the draft (Stage 1) plan. After that we continue to work on refining the plan through Step 4.
Step 4: Refining the Plan
Once Council has endorsed a draft (Stage 1) land use plan, staff will undertake the final (Stage 2) planning process. This process will include:
- Detailed engineering and financial analysis
- Refinements to land uses
- Community benefit planning
- Development of urban design guidelines
Stage 2 work will also include more opportunities for community engagement.
Step 5: Completing the Plan
Once the Plan is ready staff will report back to Council seeking endorsement of the final (Stage 2) Fleetwood Plan. This step includes:
- Writing and editing the plan document
- Presenting the plan to Council for review
- Final plan endorsement from Council