Electric Vehicle Strategy
Learn more about Surrey's Electric Vehicle Strategy.
The Surrey Electrical Vehicle Strategy identifies actions to accelerate electric vehicle (EV) adoption in the City and supports a long-term vision for Surrey where all vehicles are zero-emission.
These actions will contribute significantly to reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and achieving the City’s emission reduction targets, while also advancing the City’s sustainable transportation goals.
Areas of Focus
Our EV Strategy identifies actions the City can take over the next 5 years towards achieving a long-term vision where all vehicles in Surrey are zero-emission.
The actions are organized into 5 areas of focus:
- Support Home & Workplace Charging: All Surrey residents will have access to home, nearhome, or workplace charging, enabling the transition to 100% electric vehicles on Surrey roads.
- Expand Access to Public Charging: Surrey will operate the largest public EV charging network in the province, ensuring equitable access for all residents.
- Accelerate Individual EV Adoption: 100% of personal and shared vehicles in Surrey will be zero-emission, helping the City meet its net-zero community GHG reduction target.
- Accelerate Fleet EV Adoption: Surrey businesses will be leaders in fleet EV adoption, supported by the City’s robust public charging network.
- Lead by Example: 100% of the City’s fleet will be zero-emission vehicles, helping the City achieve its absolute zero corporate GHG emissions target.
Developing the Strategy
When developing the Surrey EV Strategy, the City combined industry-leading knowledge with input from local stakeholders and Surrey residents to provide a strong foundation for the city’s transition to electric mobility. The Strategy’s actions were developed through extensive research, external stakeholder and public engagement, and collaboration with internal stakeholders across various City departments.
Stakeholder and Public Engagement
- The City conducted a public survey from November 2019 to January 2020 to help understand barriers to EV adoption and opportunities for action. View a summary of the EV Strategy: Barriers & Opportunities Survey Results.
- In November 2019 the City hosted a series of 4 stakeholder workshops focused on determining the best approaches to public and private charging infrastructure, accelerating individual EV adoption, and accelerating fleet adoption. Learn about what we heard from the focus group in the EV Strategy: Focus Group Summary Report.
- In July 2020, the City re-engaged stakeholders to rank and comment on draft actions proposed to encourage, support, and accelerate EV adoption. Read about the key findings from the Surrey EV Strategy Survey #2: Refining and Prioritizing Actions.
"Greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector make up 47% of our city’s total emissions. Passenger vehicles are responsible for 39% of total emissions."
Where We Are At
Phase 1: Discovery
During this phase we will focus on identifying emerging trends across the EV landscape. Our findings will help inform the City’s action plan. This phase includes a comprehensive best practice, academic and policy review. We will also engage stakeholders to understand the attitudes, barriers and opportunities for EV adoption in Surrey.
Engagement will include a public survey and a series of stakeholder focus groups.
Phase 2: Developing Draft Options
During this phase, staff will develop a preliminary action plan and strategy framework using the results of:
- research and content development;
- technical analysis; and
- stakeholder engagement from the discovery stage.
We will also establish frameworks to track progress towards targets and sustainable funding mechanisms.
Phase 3: Presenting and Refining Options
We will re-engage stakeholders to review, refine and help rank proposed City actions. We will:
- present what we heard through a second stakeholder survey;
- present how feedback has influenced the draft strategy;
- confirm support for our direction and action plan priorities; and
- identify any missing components.
Phase 4: Strategy Approval
The Surrey Electric Vehicle Strategy and Action Plan will be presented to Council for approval.
For more information about electric vehicles in Surrey, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.