Learn how Surrey handles soil issues and helps control erosion by issuing permits.


Surrey manages three types of soil issues: soil deposit or removal, soil erosion, and dealing with contaminated soil. Moving soil around or off of your site can affect the drainage patterns of your surroundings. Therefore, for soil amounts greater than 15 cubic meters (m3), you will need a soil permit.


Soil that washes off construction sites during periods of wet weather becomes sediment and can have detrimental impacts on drainage systems and the receiving waterways. Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) is the practice of implementing both basic and engineered controls on construction sites to reduce the amount and volume of eroded soils washing off these sites when it rains.

Learn more about the management of soil-related issues, such as getting an ESC Permit, a Soil Deposition Permit, or preventing storm water pollution.

Erosion & Sediment Control

Erosion and Sediment Control is the practice of preventing stormwater contamination by sediment through controlling the amount of exposed soils during construction.

  • Construction site with City vehicle.

    Erosion & Sediment Control Bylaw

    This Bylaw details the mandatory standards for site planning and following Best Management Practices during construction. 

    Sediment pollution entering storm water can cause multiple issues, including flooding and disruption to the surrounding environment and wildlife. 

    Any construction site can't discharge more than 75mg/L total suspended solids (TSS) above background levels.

    Get More Info
  • Large construction site with open ground.

    Erosion & Sediment Control Permit

    Any construction projects that have a developable area of 4,000 square meters may require to get have an Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) Permit.

    Applications for the permit are made through the Engineering Department and typically take two to four weeks for processing. 

    Along with the permit, ESC Supervisor Reports are required on a weekly basis through the online portal.

    Get More Info