Learn how to apply for and manage your Erosion & Sediment Control Permit. ESC Supervisors can access the online supervisor portal.



2021 Portal Update

A new portal, a new user experience, geared to streamlining how business is conducted under Erosion and Sediment Control Permits in Surrey.

The new ESC Inspection Portal, while it incorporates many of the functions of the existing portal, will look vastly different as it is now integrated into the MySurrey Portal.

ESC Portal Overview

The new ESC Supervisor Portal, while encompassing the functionality of the existing portal, will include many new features. To aid in helping users understand some of the connectivity between the different pages and where to find information, check out the detailed site map to help users easily navigate around the site.

Learn more about the Portal

New User Dashboard

The portal's focus is to ensure that users have the right tools and information at their fingertips so that they can efficiently and effectively manage their ESC Permits reporting obligations. The new redesigned user dashboard provided users just that–an array of features to help you make the needed decisions, regardless of whether you have just one permit or forty permits.

Learn more about the User Dashboard

New Scheduling Calendar

When faced with lists of inspection deadlines across many permitted sites, it is often difficult to visualize and prioritize which of your sites need to be inspected and reported on first. Many users have put forward the idea of having a calendar view to help them quickly analyze their inspection workload. The new portal incorporates this feature and takes it one step further by making the calendar interactive to allow users to drill deeper into their inspection schedule and to look ahead at their workload.

Learn more about the Scheduling Calendar

When do you need an Erosion & Sediment Control Permit?

You must have an Erosion & Sediment Control (ESC) Permit for all construction projects that have a disturbed area equal to or greater than 2,000 square metres.

The ESC Permit process establishes a framework to ensure that mandatory standards are applied to construction site ESC planning and management, which is conducive to the proposed construction, scheduling and specific site conditions, such as:

  • site drainage
  • topography
  • soil characteristic

See the complete requirements for larger construction sites.

ESC Permit Applications

Erosion & Sediment Control Permit applications are made through the City's Engineering Department and need to be issued prior to the release of associated construction permits.

ESC Permits are commonly associated with, but not limited to,

Review the complete permit application process in our General Guide to Erosion & Sediment Control (ESC) Permit Applications.

Fill out the ESC Application package and submit your hardcopy application to the Engineering Department. Allow 2 to 4 weeks for processing. Complete your application in as much detail as possible to prevent processing delays. Any questions can be directed to escbylaw@surrey.ca or 604-592-6936. 

Any correspondence with the City of Surrey should contain your ESC file number (45XX-XXXX-XX) to ensure a timely response.

ESC Supervisor Reports

Once you have your ESC Permit issued, direct your ESC Supervisor to the online ESC Supervisor Reports Portal. 

ESC Supervisor Reports Portal

Reports must be submitted on a weekly basis unless special arrangements have been made. Reports are also required after a significant rainfall event (at least 25mm in a 24-hour period). Use the City of Surrey rain gauge to see rainfall data.

Need help? Additional application documents and supporting information on the ESC Permit are provided below.