Host a Block Party
Get to know your neighbours by hosting a block party!
Block parties are a great way to connect with your neighbours and have fun. To host a block party, please fill out and send a Block Party Application Form to the Block Party Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make Your Next Block Party a Clean-Up Party
Why not add a Neighbourhood Clean-Up to your next block party? If you are planning on organizing a block party, let us know you want to do a Clean-Up, and we can arrange the pickup of litter picking equipment.
Contact email@example.com for more information.
Planning a Successful Block Party
Here are some tips that will help your event be as successful as possible.
Step 1: Pick a location
Block Parties can take place in a variety of locations. Where you decide to hold your Block Party will determine some of the steps that you need to go through.
On a street
- Suitable for larger gatherings
- Must be on local road or cul de sac and not a busy road
- You will need to have $2 million in liability insurance. You can use your own provider, or purchase insurance for $25 through the City of Surrey. Check the box on the Block Party Application Form if you need us to call you to arrange for insurance.
- To host your party on a street, you will need to get permission to close your street (see below).
In a park
- Suitable for large or small gatherings. Learn more about hosting an event in a city park.
- You will need to have $2 million in liability insurance. You can use your own provider, or purchase insurance through the City for $25.
- Check the box on the Block Party Application Form if you need us to call you to arrange for insurance.
On private property
- For smaller gatherings, a lawn party can work well.
- No permits are required.
Step 2: Pick a Time and Date
Pick a time and date that will allow the most people to attend. Give yourself enough time to organize and advertise your event. If you are hosting it in a park, get confirmation from the City before advertising your event.
Step 3: Get a Team
Get help from friends and neighbours to make the block party happen. If people have specific tasks such as planning a game to play, taking care of food, or dropping off invitations to neighbours, it makes it much easier. Don't forget to ask people to help with set up and clean up.
Step 4: Plan Event Activities
All sorts of things can happen at a block party! Ideas include:
- Casual meeting of neighbours
- Lawn games such as bocce or croquet
- Sidewalk art projects such as chalk art
- Potluck food
- "Get to know you" games
- Include name tags to help with introductions
Temporary Health Permit
You will need to apply for a Temporary Health Permit through Fraser Health if you will be selling food at your block party. You don't need a permit if you are having a BBQ or potluck with your neighbours.
Step 5: Invite Your Neighbours
Make a flyer or invitation to send around to your neighbours to let them know about the event. It is also helpful to send out reminders closer to the date.
Step 6: Get some support
The City of Surrey can offer some support that may help your Block Party be successful. Apply for a Neighbourhood Enhancement Grant to help cover the costs for food, insurance costs, and other expenses. Your block party may be eligible for up to $500 in funding.
Borrow a tent, table, chairs, road barricades and other equipment free of charge. Check out our Neighbourhood Event Equipment for a list of items we have available for pick up.
For additional support in planning and hosting a great block party, download the Block Party Tool Kit.
Closing Off Your Street for a Block Party
When you are wanting to Host a Block Party, it is best to apply for a street closure at least 3 weeks beforehand. Here's how:
Involve your neighbours
When inviting your neighbours, share your idea for closing the street, and record their support with the sign-off form. 100% of households must support the road closure. Talk to everyone on your block, including those across the street from each end of the block. Download the Sign-Off Form
Provide a map of the area
You can use COSMOS, our city mapping program, or Google maps to create and print a map.
You will need to have $2 million in liability insurance. You can use your own provider, or purchase insurance through the City of Surrey with a credit card.
Road Closure Permit
The Block Party Committee will submit your Road Closure Permit Application on your behalf to the Engineering Department and they will contact you directly once received. There is no cost to you.
Renting barricades is free, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding coordination of barricades.
For more information on hosting a block party, email email@example.com.