Why Work Here
See the benefits City employees receive, including medical, dental, training and education.
A Top Employer offering meaningful work, constant learning, and a community guided by our shared values of Community, Innovation, Integrity, Service, and Teamwork are just a few reasons why we work here – there are so many others.
Together we’ve moved our city forward to become a thriving, green, inclusive city. In the past year, we:
- Were recognized as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers.
- Were recognized in the “Broader Public Sector” category and is the only municipality to be named among Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures for 2018.
- Introduced an Employee Excellence Award to formally recognize staff initiatives that demonstrate excellence in collaboration and innovation.
- Introduced the Love Where You Live Campaign, a city-wide clean up initiative to keep our city beautiful and green.
- Launched our Vision Zero Surrey Safe Mobility Plan, which sets the City on a path to zero fatalities and serious injuries.
- Made the City more accessible with new facilities like a 12,000 square foot Jumpstart Playground and our North Surrey Sport & Ice Complex.
And none of this would be possible without the dedicated professionals we have on our team. That’s why we take care of our employees and give them opportunities and challenges to grow in their career.
Learn more about the updates and achievements accomplished by the City.
Our employees are hard at work serving our residents, building our city and helping our communities thrive. We recognize their contributions and in return offer a number of benefits to employees of the City. Some of our offerings include:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Extended health benefits including, physiotherapy, massage and other therapeutic treatments
- Defined benefit pension plan
- Travel insurance and life insurance
- Employee and family assistance program
- On-site gyms, fitness classes and discounts to Surrey recreation centres
- Subsidized transit passes, carpool and car-share options
Training and Education
City of Surrey employees are constantly innovating and to help them grow and develop, we offer a wide range of training opportunities to help them achieve their full potential. These include:
- Organizational courses that focus on developing skills in key competencies that guide how we build knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Personal development planning to help our employees explore growth in their careers.
- Leadership programs to support employees through their career progression.
- Health and safety courses to ensure we have a safe and healthy place to work.
- Tuition reimbursement to enhance our employees’ knowledge and skills.
“Community” is a reflection of who we are and drives the meaningful work we do.
Employees have spent countless hours to help our community grow and prosper. Through initiatives like our annual United Way Campaign, to the Surrey Fire Fighter Association Toy Drive, to our annual road hockey event in support of Raise the Roof’s national Toque Campaign, our employees strive to make Surrey a great place to live, work, and raise a family.
Diversity & Inclusion
Taking a lead role in the success of our diverse community not only demonstrates the City’s values, it is also a reflection of the people who work here. We are a caring and compassionate city that learns about and supports its residents of all backgrounds, demographics and life experiences.
Learn more about what we’re doing to ensure that all people feel welcome and included and how we’re building a strong and healthy community.