Credit: Detail from Kids Art Express course at Surrey Art Gallery. Photo by Pardeep Singh.
Visual Arts Classes
Surrey Art Gallery provides courses for preschoolers, children, youth, and adults, with studio instruction in a variety of media from introductory to advanced levels. Our instructors are experienced art educators and many are also practicing artists.
How to Register
All participants must pre-register. At this time, we are unable to accept registrations in person.
- Register online (see "Select an Activity" section below) or
- Phone the Call Centre at 604-501-5100 (Monday to Friday 8:30am-4:30pm, Sunday 9-11pm)
We accept credit card or pre-authorized payments. Learn more about our Leisure Access Program.
Online Registration Tips
Art Takeout Courses
Feed your artistic side with the Gallery’s "at leisure" Art Takeout courses! Finish these courses with six videos lessons in one week or over several months! For all ages, including materials for pickup and video lessons.
Try out "Drawing in the Field" with artist educator Alexandra Thomson to learn and practice your drawing skills, ranging from plein air/in the open air, art journaling, sketching, blind contour, multiple perspectives, and more! $15.
On you own or with your family and friends, experiment with clay in "Handbuilding with Clay!" With artist educator Amelia Butcher, reimagine the sculptural possibilities of clay. Inspired by contemporary ceramic art, learn pinch, coil, slab construction, and surface pattern techniques. Includes materials, video lessons, firing, and glazing. $35, optional tool kit for $34.50.
See "Online Programs - Arts" in the "Select an Activity" section below.
See "Clay," "Drawing and Painting," and "Mixed Media" in the "Select an Activity" section below.
Our Commitment to Keeping Participants Safe
The safety of our community and staff is our top priority. All of our courses will operate under strict guidelines developed in conjunction with the Fraser Health Authority, Provincial Mandates, and Health and Safety Standards.
We will actively monitor our courses and may modify procedures as necessary. In addition, we may need to change or cancel courses if transmission rates go up or a community outbreak occurs. We will immediately inform you of any changes.
Based on the health guidance, our plans include a heightened level of health and safety measures. These include:
- Smaller class sizes (maximum of 9 participants per class)
- Staggered start and end times for courses
- Routine daily screening for all staff and participants before they enter the facility
- Explicit policy for participants or staff who have the symptoms of a cold, flu, or COVID-19 with coughing or sneezing not coming into the facility
- Routine and frequent environmental cleaning
- Promote and educate on good hygiene and respiratory etiquette
- Hand washing will happen, at minimum, at the start and end of each class
- Physical distancing
- Designated sign-in and sign-out area for participants
- A parent or guardian must accompany their children (regardless of age), at each check-in to complete health screening
What to Bring
- Water (all water fountains will remain closed)
- Adult courses - required supplies