Business Licensing Statistics
See the breakdown of existing and new business licences in Surrey.
The City of Surrey is committed to fostering a positive business environment and helping businesses succeed. View the charts and tables below to see the breakdown of existing and new business licences in Surrey.
- Overall, there are 18,828 licensed businesses in Surrey.
- Since 2017, there has been an 11% increase in the total number of business licences in Surrey.
- There has been an increase of 7% in the number of Commercial/Industrial businesses since 2017.
- Newton has the highest concentration of businesses at 6,308.
- South Surrey has 3,104 businesses making up 16% of the overall breakdown by Community.
- Guildford is the third largest business community in Surrey, followed closely by Cloverdale.
- Construction makes up 25% of the total number of businesses by sector with 4,681 active licenses.
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services makes up 13% of the breakdown with 2,373 businesses.
- Retail is the third largest sector in Surrey making up 10% of the total.
- In 2021, there were 2,068 new businesses in Surrey.
- Also in 2021, there was a 9% increase in the number of new home-based businesses licensed compared to 2020's fiscal year.