Business Licensing Statistics
See the breakdown of existing and new business licences in Surrey.
The City of Surrey is committed to fostering a positive business environment and helping businesses succeed. View the charts and tables below to see the breakdown of existing and new business licences in Surrey.
- Overall, there are 18,340 licensed businesses in Surrey.
- Since 2014, there has been a 15% increase in the total number of business licences in Surrey.
- There has been an increase of 10% in the number of Commercial/Industrial businesses since 2014.
- Newton has the highest concentration of businesses at 6,101.
- South Surrey has 3,047 businesses making up 17% of the overall breakdown by Community.
- Guildford is the third largest business community in Surrey, followed closely by Cloverdale.
- Construction makes up 24% of the total number of businesses by sector with 4,483 active licenses.
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services makes up 12% of the breakdown with 2,206 businesses.
- Retail is the third largest sector in Surrey making up 10% of the total.
- In 2019, there were 2,570 new businesses in Surrey.
- Also in 2019, there was a 19% increase in the number of new home based businesses licensed compared to 2014's fiscal year.