Community Demographic Profiles
Review demographic information for the City of Surrey based on the Statistics Canada 2016 Census.
Surrey's Demographic Information
Statistics Canada collects demographic information every 5 years when it conducts its Census of Population.
The City of Surrey's Planning and Development Department conducts further analysis on Surrey's demographic information to create a series of topic-based fact sheets to provide information on Surrey's communities.
The fact sheets below show how the communities have changed over time, and how the City compares to Metro Vancouver averages.
Demographic information for Surrey's 6 communities and City Centre correspond to the areas shown on the map below. Detailed Community Profiles based on 2016 Census Data and City of Surrey statistics are available for: Whalley, City Centre, Guildford, Fleetwood, Newton, Cloverdale and South Surrey.
Each profile includes community-specific data on population, family make-up, immigration, Indigenous population, housing, income, education, labour force participation, and journey to work.
A city-wide profile for all of Surrey is also available.
- Basic Census Profile of Surrey: age, family structure, language, citizenship and other demographic information in Surrey.
- Census Data Highlights: map image of Surrey along with data highlights that are presented through text, tables and figures.
- Census Geographies: GeoSearch, thematic maps and reference maps.
- Previous Censuses: previous censuses between 1996 and 2011.
- BC Stats on Population & Housing: population, Dwellings and Land Area data for all BC municipalities, regional district/Census Divisions, Indian Reserves and Island Trusts.
2011 Census / National Household Survey
The Census and National Household Survey gathers data on the social, economic and demographic profile of Canadians, and the dwellings in which they live.
- Basic Census Profile of Surrey
- National Household Survey Data for Surrey
- Demographic Stats for Surrey
- BC Stats on Population & Housing
Fact sheets based on the 2011 Census and National Household Survey provide information on Surrey at the time of the Census by theme.
- Aboriginal Population
- Age and Sex
- Income - Employment
- Income - Low
- Income - Total
- Labour Force
Fact sheets generated from the 2006 Census provide a glimpse of Surrey and our communities at the time of the Census. They also analyze how Surrey has changed over time and how we fit within the larger Metro Vancouver region. The following fact sheets are available: