Find out what's covered under the Bylaw & Licensing Services Section.

Our goal is to work with the community to achieve compliance with various bylaws to improve the quality of life for citizens of and visitors to the City of Surrey. We have had considerable success in resolving issues by using an integrated service approach, utilizing our own resources as well as other City Departments and government agencies.   

There are 4 main areas of focus within the Bylaw & Licensing Services Section: Animal Control, Business Licensing, Parking & Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, and Property Use.  

Animal Control

Animal Control is responsible for enforcing bylaws relating to the care and control of animals. Their main focus is the Dog Responsibility Bylaw, but they also enforce bylaws relating to livestock and domesticated animals.  

Business Licensing

Business Licensing ensures businesses locate in areas appropriate to their type of business.  It may also regulate how a business can operate.  Prior to issuing business licenses, the By-law & Licensing Services staff confirms that zoning, building and safety requirements are met.  

Parking & Commercial Vehicle Enforcement

Parking & Commercial Vehicle Enforcement is responsible for ensuring compliance of City bylaws related to the use of City streets. This includes parking, truck routes and the movement of large commercial vehicles. The Highway & Traffic Bylaw No. 13007 regulates the use of all City of Surrey streets. This bylaw promotes public safety and traffic flow.   

Property Use

Property use bylaws ensure planning for a liveable city including equal standards of safety and maintenance for all residential and commercial sites. Bylaw Enforcement Officers work with property and business owners to ensure that the requirements of Bylaws relating to zoning, business licensing, unsightly property and noise are met.  

Report a Problem

The City of Surrey Bylaw & Licensing Services Section responds to complaints from the public and other government agencies, as well as proactively identifies property use issues. 

The Bylaw Enforcement Section does not respond to issues that are considered to be a civil matter.

Use our online Report a Problem service request form, or contact Bylaw & Licensing Services directly at or 604-591-4370.

Make a parking complaint at or 604-591-4352.