Learn about the structure and function of the Corporate Services Department.
Corporate Services consists of key areas that support the overall core deliverables of the City.
Our department includes the following divisions:
Human Resources is responsible for:
- Recruiting talented individuals
- Administering benefits
- Overseeing organizational health and safety practices
- Addressing labour relations issues
- Employee communications
- Developing the City’s diverse workforce
For more information about working for the City of Surrey, visit our Jobs & Careers section.
Director, Human Resources
Information Technology is responsible for enabling internal and external customers with appropriate technology, information, and applications to maximize business effectiveness. This includes:
- Application Services
- Business Solutions Services
- Infrastructure Services
Director, Information Technology
Legal Services is responsible for providing legal services and advice to the City on matters associated with the City.
Legislative Services is responsible for:
- Ensuring the City conducts business in accordance with all levels of government legislation
- Carrying out the statutory responsibilities of the Corporate Officer as legislated under the Community Charter
Council meetings and bylaws
Legislative Services also:
- Prepares and distributes Council meeting agendas
- Records and preserves minutes of Council meetings and Council committees
- Preserves, completes, and makes available to the public all municipal bylaws
Freedom of information
In addition, Legislative Services manages the City's compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation. This includes:
- Managing the Corporate Records program and the City’s privacy practices
- Responding to requests for information under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Pension and proof of life documents
Pension and proof of life documents are also available through Legislative Services.
- Call 604-591-4132 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment for pension and proof of life documents
Legislative Services also coordinates and conducts municipal elections every four years to elect the City's Mayor and Council.
City Clerk, Legislative Services
Bylaw & Licensing Services
Bylaw & Licensing Services is responsible for:
- Enforcement of regulatory bylaws
- Issuance of business licenses
- Animal control functions and operation of the Surrey Animal Resource Centre
- Parking enforcement
- Corporate security services, which are in part delivered by contractors at City sites
Using both complaints from the public and a proactive approach, enforcement staff focus on working with property owners to gain compliance for safety, maintenance, beautification and livability issues within the community.
Manager, Bylaw & Licensing Services
Martin Blais (acting)