Collection Carts, Bags & Stickers
Learn how you can exchange, replace, or order collection carts and get information on bags and stickers for your waste collection needs.
Our online option for ordering or exchanging carts is temporarily unavailable. Please call 604-590-7289 for cart requests.
If you regularly find yourself dealing with excess waste that doesn't fit in your cart, you can exchange your garbage, recycling, or organics cart for a larger one. (If excess waste is only an occasional issue, see below for tips on how to deal with excess waste.)
If you have the opposite problem and your cart is too big, you can exchange it for a smaller one.
To exchange your carts, or if you need to replace a lost or damaged cart, please follow the steps below.
We can also help supply new carts if you've moved into a new house in Surrey and the carts are missing.
Before You Order Your Cart:
- Find the size of the cart you are replacing and/or the size of the new cart you would like. Cart size can be found on the top of the lid, near the handle;
- Have payment ready (see delivery fees below);
- Contact the Waste Collection Hotline at 604-590-7289. Households are eligible for one additional cart request per year, or one exchange per year.
- First Additional Cart (Delivery): $35
- First Additional Cart (Pickup): No Cost
- Second and Subsequent Additional Cart (Delivery): $100
- Second and Subsequent Additional Cart (Pickup): $65
Cart Exchanges (Upsize or Downsize Only)
- Delivery: $35 per cart
- Pickup: $10 per cart
Replacement Carts (Stolen or Damaged)
- First Replacement Cart: $35
- Each Second and Subsequent Replacement Cart: $100
Pickup is not available for replacement carts.
We will not replace carts because they are dirty.
Extra Garbage Fees
Additional annual waste collection fees apply for additional or larger garbage carts.
Garbage Cart Size
|Additional Fee per Year|
|Additional 120 L||$153|
|Additional 180 L/240 L||$307|
|Additional 360 L||$454|
|Replace current size to 360 L||$153|
The following cart dimensions apply to all 3 carts: garbage, recycling, and organics carts.
|120 L||24.25 in||19.75 in||37.50 in|
|180 L||28.75 in||23.50 in||37.50 in|
|240 L||31.75 in||24.25 in||41.75 in|
|360 L||35.75 in||29.75 in||43.25 in|
Tips for Handling Extra Waste
There is a lot of room in your standard cart, but if you run out of room in your garbage, recycling or organics carts, there are a few ways to address the waste that just doesn't fit.
Excess Organics (Yard & Garden Waste)
Excess organics often means yard and garden waste, such as raked leaves, lawn trimmings and tree branches. These items can be placed in paper bags or additional cans beside your regular carts for pickup. There is no additional cost for placing extra bags or bundles of branches beside your cart.
- Please ensure your green organics cart is completely full prior to using paper bags or additional cans.
- If you regularly use extra bags or cans for yard waste, please request a larger or additional cart. Using carts, whenever possible, prevents drivers from having to reload your cart, which can be messy and can subject your driver to injury.
- Place excess organics waste next to your cart either in paper bags properly closed; in old yard waste containers with a yard waste sticker attached; or tied with natural twine in bundles no larger than 1 x 0.6 m (3 x 2 ft).
- Yard waste stickers can be ordered by calling the Waste Collection Hotline 604-590-7289
- The bags placed out for collection must not exceed 25 kg/50 lbs.
- Flatten containers whenever possible to gain more space in your recycling cart. Keep the caps off.
- Flattened cardboard boxes can be placed beside the cart in tied bundles. Please ensure that they are cut down to fit inside your recycling cart.
- If you consistently have excess recyclables, request a larger or additional cart by calling the Waste Collection Hotline at 604-590-7289.
Excess garbage must be placed in a waste bin or bag with an extra sticker attached. Purchase stickers ($5.50) at City Hall. Please call 604-591-4181 for more information.
Kraft paper bags are not available at City Facilities at this time.
Cart Cleaning Tips
Keep your carts clean by storing your carts in a cool, shaded, ventilated area and keep the lid closed. You can also wash your carts periodically with mild soap or a vinegar-water solution. Pour soapy water onto grass or gravel. Do not pour soapy water down outside drains. We also have a couple tips specific to your recycling cart and organics cart.
- Empty and rinse containers before placing in your cart to prevent odours
- Wrap and layer food scraps in newspaper, paper bags, paper towel or cereal boxes
- Freeze meat scraps in a paper bag until collection bag
- Sprinkle baking soda to reduce odours
Want someone else to clean out your organics cart? Research local cleaning companies online and keep your hands clean. Whatever method you use, your efforts are helping the City towards sustainability.
Kitchen Catcher Tips
- Wrap food scraps in newspaper, paper bags*, paper towel, or place in cardboard boxes
- Line the bottom of your kitchen catcher with old newspaper**, cardboard, or a brown paper bag
- Freeze food scraps in a paper bag until collection day
- Keep the lid of your kitchen catcher closed
- Sprinkle small amounts of baking soda over food waste if necessary to decrease odour
- Wash your kitchen catcher out periodically with mild soap or a vinegar-water solution
- Empty your kitchen catcher for collection every week even if it is not completely full
Plastic or compostable bags are not permitted. For more information regarding kitchen catchers, please call our Waste Collection Hotline at 604-590-7289.
Learn how to fold a kitchen catcher newspaper insert to help keep your kitchen catcher clean.
Follow City of Surrey on Social Media
Follow us for daily news and updates, event invitations, program information, and deadline reminders.