Newton Recreation Centre
Visit Newton Recreation Centre for low intensity gymnasium sports, fitness classes and weight room reservations.
Departments are currently formulating plans for the safe restarting of operations based on the province’s phased Restart Plan.
Masks are required to be worn inside city facilities and when exercising in weight rooms or group fitness classes.
We appreciate the continued patience of our residents as we work towards restoring operations and look forward to welcoming you soon. Follow surrey.ca/covid19 for specific facility re-opening and safety protocol updates.
We’re excited to welcome you back with a limited selection of low risk activities for all age groups. The pool is anticipated to reopen at a later date.
All activities must be pre-registered and will follow strict guidelines to ensure the health and safety of both patrons and staff. Activities offered may be scaled up or down based on demand and public safety and may be in different locations to allow for adequate physical distancing. We will evaluate our procedures and programs and modify as necessary.
Learn more about Coronavirus (COVID-19) information.
How to Register
- Register online
- Call 604-501-5100 Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 5:30pm
Register now to book your time in low intensity gymnasium sports, fitness classes and weight room reservations. So that everyone may participate, we respectfully ask that patrons limit themselves to one activity per day.
Discounted 5, 10 and 20 swipe passes are available for purchase or buy an annual recreation pass for unlimited access.
- The mat room upgrade has a new space of 4,700 sq. ft. for wrestling, martial arts, dancing, yoga and gymnastics.
- The ground level fitness area space is 8,000 sq. ft., featuring modern equipment and providing more fitness options for the growing Newton community
- Programming includes cardio, stretching and functional training for a variety of ages and abilities
- An inviting new 412 sq. ft. lobby is available for the community to participate in social engagement
- The only wave pool in the City of Surrey, featuring 3 water slides and interactive play structures
- A safe, new outdoor playground is available for children to use
- Fern Façade, a large public art display, covers the windows of the Newton Recreation Centre
The Newton Recreation Centre is Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certified. Featuring accessible washrooms, 8 accessible parking stalls, an aquatic lift and aquatic wheelchairs. See below for more information on the accessible features of the fitness centres and pool.
The pool at this facility is anticipated to reopen at a later date.
Newton Recreation Centre has the following pool features:
- Wave pool
- Water slides (both enclosed & open)
- Water fortress with cannons, jets and sprays
- Sea Squirts Tot Pool (1-2ft depth)
- Hot tub
- Steam room
Newton Recreation Centre has the following features:
- Gradual pool access
- Automatic door provides access to change room
- 3 aquatic wheelchairs
- Hot tub lift
- Accessible stalls with hand-held shower, grab bars and benches
The Newton Arena is located at 7120 136B Street (across the parking lot from the Newton Wave Pool). We have:
- One sheet of ice
- 17,000 square feet of exhibit space
- Bench seating for 150
- Score board with flexible scoring and timing capabilities
- One Meeting room
- Two Multipurpose rooms
- Four Multi-use dressing rooms
- Wheelchair accessible on ground level
- Skate & Helmet rental/Skate Shop
Find more information on the Newton Arena page.
There is one gymnasium at Newton Recreation Centre.
Our 5,000 square feet weight room is accessible and is equipped with TV and free Wi-Fi. We also have:
- Over 40 pieces of cardio equipment
- HOIST full-body circuit area
- Selectorized strength machines
- Free weights, ranging from 5 to 100 lbs
- Dedicated stretching area
- Raised stretching mat
- Recumbent elliptical machine
- Progression Fitness medicine balls (medicine balls with straps)
- 2 Dual Cable Cross machines
- SkiErg machine
- Active Hands, weight-lifting hooks, loop resistance bands & wrist/ankle weights
- Many pieces of equipment are adjustable or can have the seat removed for wheelchair access
Our fitness studio offers:
- 19 bikes
- Exercise balls
- Bender balls
- Resistance bands and free weights
- 17 TRX training stations
We offer pre-kindergarten programs at Newton Recreation Centre. Learn about preschool programs for more information.