Newton Recreation Centre
Visit Newton Recreation Centre for gymnasium sports, fitness classes and drop-in access to the weight room.
Starting September 13, patrons ages 12 and older will be required to show proof of vaccination when entering recreation & culture facilities.
Masks must be worn inside City facilities, except when exercising, regardless of vaccination status.
We appreciate your continued patience as we work towards restarting operations and look forward to welcoming you soon. Follow surrey.ca/covid19 for specific facility re-opening and safety protocol updates.
We're excited to welcome you back with a limited selection of low risk activities for all age groups. We are planning to restart operations based on the province’s phased Restart Plan and provide programs safely for both staff and residents. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we hire and train additional staff in order to gradually offer more services at Parks, Recreation and Culture facilities.
The majority of drop-in activities no longer require reservations. The current reservation system will remain in place for all group fitness and some other activities.
Learn more about Coronavirus (COVID-19) information.
How to Register
- Register online
- In person at any recreation facility
- Call 604-501-5100 Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 5:30pm
- The mat room upgrade has a new space of 4,700 sq. ft. for wrestling, martial arts, dancing, yoga and gymnastics.
- The ground level fitness area space is 8,000 sq. ft., featuring modern equipment and providing more fitness options for the growing Newton community
- Programming includes cardio, stretching and functional training for a variety of ages and abilities
- An inviting new 412 sq. ft. lobby is available for the community to participate in social engagement
- The only wave pool in the City of Surrey, featuring 3 water slides and interactive play structures
- A safe, new outdoor playground is available for children to use
- Fern Façade, a large public art display, covers the windows of the Newton Recreation Centre
All City of Surrey recreation facilities require patrons to present a Recreation Passcard before entering. The Recreation Passcard is free of charge and connects to your account. Learn about the benefits of having a Recreation Passcard.
The Newton Recreation Centre is Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certified. Featuring accessible washrooms, 8 accessible parking stalls, an aquatic lift and aquatic wheelchairs. See below for more information on the accessible features of the fitness centres and pool.
The pool at this facility is anticipated to reopen at a later date.
Newton Recreation Centre has the following pool features:
- Wave pool
- Water slides (both enclosed & open)
- Water fortress with cannons, jets and sprays
- Sea Squirts Tot Pool (1-2ft depth)
- Hot tub
- Steam room
Newton Recreation Centre has the following features:
- Gradual pool access
- Automatic door provides access to change room
- 3 aquatic wheelchairs
- Hot tub lift
- Accessible stalls with hand-held shower, grab bars and benches
The Newton Arena is located at 7120 136B Street (across the parking lot from the Newton Wave Pool). We have:
- One sheet of ice
- 17,000 square feet of exhibit space
- Bench seating for 150
- Score board with flexible scoring and timing capabilities
- One Meeting room
- Two Multipurpose rooms
- Four Multi-use dressing rooms
- Wheelchair accessible on ground level
- Skate & Helmet rental/Skate Shop
Find more information on the Newton Arena page.
There is one gymnasium at Newton Recreation Centre.
Our 5,000 square feet weight room is accessible and is equipped with TV and free Wi-Fi. We also have:
- Over 40 pieces of cardio equipment
- HOIST full-body circuit area
- Selectorized strength machines
- Free weights, ranging from 5 to 100 lbs
- Dedicated stretching area
- Raised stretching mat
- Recumbent elliptical machine
- Progression Fitness medicine balls (medicine balls with straps)
- 2 Dual Cable Cross machines
- SkiErg machine
- Active Hands, weight-lifting hooks, loop resistance bands & wrist/ankle weights
- Many pieces of equipment are adjustable or can have the seat removed for wheelchair access
Our fitness studio offers:
- 19 bikes
- Exercise balls
- Bender balls
- Resistance bands and free weights
- 17 TRX training stations
We offer pre-kindergarten programs at Newton Recreation Centre. Learn about preschool programs for more information.