Volunteer Water Meter Program
Learn about the City's water meter program and how you can apply.
If you have any questions about the program, please email Youngjin.Kim@surrey.ca or call 604-591-4831.
Under this program, the City will supply and install a water meter and touchpad free of charge. Additionally, the following permit fees will be waived:
- Plumbing permit fee, which includes the first two site inspections. However, the fees related to any additional inspection requests will be charged to the owner.
- Temporary water turn-off/on fee.
The owner is required to hire a certified Plumbing Contractor to apply for the plumbing permit and install the meter box and all the required piping, at the owner’s cost.
Your annual utility bill will not be adjusted until the final plumbing inspection is approved and the water meter and touchpad installation is complete.
If there is an existing water meter box on your property (see picture below for reference), contact Youngjin.Kim@surrey.ca first, before hiring a plumbing contractor.
Follow these steps to apply for this program:
- The Owner is to hire a certified Plumbing Contractor.
- The Plumbing Contractor is to register as an Online Registered User with the City of Surrey, if they have not already.
- The Plumbing Contractor is to fill in the Plumbing Permit Application form. Ensure the following information is properly identified in the form:
- Mark Renovation under Box A: Work Proposed
- Write 1 on Water Meter under Box J: Plumbing Fixture
- Write Standalone Permit Volunteer Water Meter Program under Box K: Additional Details
- The Plumbing Contractor is to email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Permit applications are processed in the order they are received and can take 24-48 hours for issuance.
- The Plumbing Contractor is to apply for a Temporary Water Turn-off by contacting the Engineering Front Counter at 604-591-4340 or Engineering@surrey.ca, and informing City staff that this is for the Volunteer Meter Program. The Plumbing Contractor is to locate the curb stop location prior to scheduling a Temporary Water Turn-off. It may take 24–48 hours to schedule this work.
- When the meter box and setter is ready, the Plumbing Contractor must book an inspection. Call the Plumbing section at 604-591-4245 (option 3).
- The City’s Plumbing Inspector will attend the site, inspect the water meter box and setter, and if accepted, provide “Final Plumbing Approval”.
- Upon approval, Engineering Operations will install the water meter. It may take several weeks to schedule this work.
Meter Box Installation Guidelines
It is the Plumbing Contractor’s responsibility to safely locate all underground infrastructures ahead of any excavations.
The Plumbing Contractor is to follow the detailed Meter Installation Guidelines to ensure acceptance of the work completed.