Understanding Your Water Meter
Learn more about your water meter, including how to locate it, and how to use it to detect possible water leaks in your home.
Water Meter Installations
The City of Surrey mandates the installation of water meters for:
- All new residential developments, including Single Family Dwellings (SFDs) and multi-family developments;
- All existing and new industrial, commercial and institutional properties;
- New structures; after the existing one(s) has been demolished;
- Anyone installing a new service from the City Water Main to the property line;
- Properties participating in Local Area Servicing;
- Anyone installing an irrigation system; and
- Anyone who has multiple infractions for wasting water under the Water Bylaw.
Water Meter Readings
Water meters in the City of Surrey are routinely read for billing purposes. The Surrey Waterworks Regulation and Charges Bylaw requires a clear and unobstructed access to the water meter at all times.
If you received a door hanger stating we were unable to access your water meter, you must contact Property Payment Services within 48 hours at 604-591-4181 or email@example.com. Please be ready to provide your name, phone number, meter address, account number and how we can gain access.
Common problems or issues that mean we are not able to take a reading include:
- No one present to access meter inside your home
- Meter is landscaped over
- A vehicle is parked on top of the meter pit
- Construction on top of meter
- Continuous water flow
Surrey implements a quality assurance program to ensure the metered billings are accurate and equitable.
Locating Your Water Meter
You can also use our new online tool to instantly locate your meter:
Learn more about your water meter. Watch the videos below for tips for on keeping your meter clear, how to interpret it, and how to investigate for leaks on your property.
Learn more about detecting water leaks on your property, and what they might be costing you.
Special Meter Reading Requests
Learn how to get a special water meter reading on a home you have purchased or are selling.
Rates and Billing
For more information on water meter installations in Surrey, download the Water Meter and Service Connection Design Criteria Manual & Supplementary Specifications.
For question or concerns about your water meter, please contact Property Payment Services at 604-591-4181 or firstname.lastname@example.org.