Learn about seasonal watering restrictions in Surrey and see how you are affected.
Annual outdoor water restrictions within the Metro Vancouver region, including the City of Surrey, are in effect from May 1 to October 15.
Find out when you can water at your address during stage 1.
Stage 1 Water Restrictions
During Stage 1, any lawn watering, either by sprinkler or by handheld hose, is permitted only two times per week. All hoses must have an automatic shut-off device (spray nozzle).
Violations during this phase will result in a $200 fine. Any complaints received, or observed violations, may result in fines imposed under the Bylaw Contravention Fines (see page 25).
- Even numbered addresses: Wednesday and Saturday from 4am to 9am
- Odd numbered addresses: Thursday and Sunday from 4am to 9am
- Watering flowers, planters, shrubs, and trees on any day from 4 am to 9 am if using a sprinkler, or any day at any time if using a handheld hose, soaker hose, water container, or drip irrigation
Apartments and townhouses follow the complex address, not the individual unit numbers.
- Even numbered addresses: Monday from 1am to 6am, Friday 4am to 9am
- Odd numbered addresses: Tuesday from 1am to 6 am, Friday 4am to 9am
- Watering flowers, planters, shrubs, and trees on any day from 1 am to 9 am if using a sprinkler, or any day at any time if using a handheld hose, soaker hose, water container, or drip irrigation
This includes businesses and mixed-use complexes (i.e. residential with commercial buildings).
Special Water Permits
Special water permits are available for new lawns, newly seeded lawns or lawns under natural pest control, such as nematode treatments to control European Chafer Beetles.
To get a permit, please contact the Engineering Front Counter at 604-591-4340, option 5, for sprinkler permit. The Front counter staff will direct you on how to apply and receive the permits. Permits related to nematode treatments are free. Permits for new lawns are $37.