Councillor Harry Bains
Meet Councillor Harry Bains.
I am lawyer, a father and a long-term Surrey resident and have lived here for over 30 years. I have seen Surrey grow up all around me. I understand and appreciate how the decisions we make today will have long term effects on the residents of this City today, and decades from now.
In my role as a lawyer, I have worked with business owners and residents throughout the City of Surrey. Through my work, I have developed an understanding of the problems faced by Surrey residents in their daily lives. This understanding will serve me well as I represent the community.
I earned a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of British Columbia and a Bachelor of Business (with Honours) from the British Columbia Institute of Technology. I am actively involved in volunteering as a coach to my son’s hockey teams with the Surrey Minor Hockey Association.
My priorities on council include:
- Increasing transparency and efficiency at City Hall
- Further developing the downtown core of Surrey with an emphasis on bringing entertainment facilities into the City
- Maintaining public safety
- Developing a transit plan for the City
Committees and Community Groups
- Investment, Innovation and Business Committee – Chair
- Agriculture and Food Policy Committee – Vice Chair
- Focus Newton Task Force – Chair
- Finance Committee
- Metro Vancouver Board – Director
- Invest Vancouver Management Board – Vice Chair
- Metro Vancouver Regional Culture Committee – Member
- Surrey Hospitals Foundation – Ex-Officio Member