Skip navigation

Interior Renovation Permit

Building Permit for a Single Family Dwelling Interior Renovation

You need an Interior Renovation Permit in Surrey for an interior renovation project in a single family dwelling or detached home.

How to apply

Complete the Building Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey’s Building Division. Basic information about the property will also be requested at the time of application. Separate plumbing and electrical permits might also be required.

Printer friendly Guide to Applying for an Interior Renovation Permit.

Professionals you may need

A Registered Professional (RP) may be required to provide signed and sealed drawings if the renovation involves changes to the structural elements of the building.

Required documents

Include the following documents with your Interior Renovation Permit application:

Drawing requirements

Include the following plans with your Interior Renovation Permit application:

Most interior renovations involve some form of structural work. If there is any change to the structural elements of a building, sealed and signed structural drawings and schedules may be required.

Other drawings that may be required

If an existing window or door will be enlarged or if a new window or door will be installed, an elevation drawing of the affected building face and a cross section drawing through the wall in which the window or door will be installed are required.


The Building Permit fee is due at the time of your Interior Renovation Permit application.

If applicable, a damage deposit must be paid at the time of application.

After you apply

Once the plan reviewer is satisfied that all the requirements have been met, the Building Permit will be issued and the applicant will be notified. You will be required to have the approved drawing set at the site location at all times during construction.