Apply for a Swimming Pool Permit to install an above ground swimming pool, in-ground swimming pool, indoor swimming pool or hot tub.

You need a Swimming Pool Permit in Surrey to install:

  • above-ground swimming pools;
  • in-ground swimming pools;
  • indoor swimming pools; and
  • hot tubs.

The installation of a swimming pool requires a Building Permit when the pool has a surface area of 14m² (150ft²) or greater and a depth of 450mm (18 inches) or greater. The setbacks applicable to swimming pools are the same as that for accessory structures as set out in the Surrey Zoning Bylaw. 

You may also need a building permit to decommission (fill in) a swimming pool in Surrey.

How to Apply

Download the Guide to Applying for a Building Permit for a Swimming Pool.

Complete the Building Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey's Building Division by email, or in-person by appointment.

Digital Permit Intakes

Planning & Development permits can be submitted by email to Before submitting your application, please review the Digital Submission Guideline. You will be contacted once we have reviewed your submission.

All permit application processes will remain the same, apart from receiving the physical document copies. Hard copies of permit application submissions may be necessary and requested depending on the scope of work and project size, upon completion of the digital submission.

Professionals you may need

A Registered Professional (RP) is required to provide a Schedule B to accompany signed and sealed drawings.

A Coordinating Registered Professional (CRP) may be required to provide a Schedule A if different professional engineers are working together on the project.

All plans and specifications for in-ground swimming pools shall be prepared by a qualified professional engineer registered in BC and shall bear the signature and seal of the professional engineer.


Separate Electrical and Plumbing Permits may also be required depending upon the scope of work. Sand filters require a separate plumbing review and permit whereas cartridge filters do not.

A pool shed housing the pool mechanical equipment requires a separate Building Permit, regardless of building size.

A swimming pool proposed to be located in close proximity to a building may require a report from a professional engineer addressing the structural/geotechnical considerations with respect to the foundations of each structure.

Required Documents

Include the following documents with your Swimming Pool Permit application:

  • a Building Permit Application Form;
  • an Owner Authorization Form (if the Applicant is not the Owner);
  • a Schedule A if more than one Registered Professional is involved;
  • a Schedule B to accompany each Registered Professional’s signed and sealed drawings;
  • Fraser Health septic approval (if applicable); and
  • a Building Scheme Design Approval (if applicable).

Drawing Requirements

Include the following plans with your Swimming Pool Permit application:

All plans and information submitted must be legible and of suitable quality for scanning. Minimum size 11” x 17” sheets are required (24” x 36” preferred). Plans on blueprint paper, vellum or graph paper will not be accepted.

Drawings in colour ink or in pencil will not be accepted. Laminated drawings will not be accepted. Reversed plans will not be accepted. Drawings, with the exception of the site plan, will be accepted in imperial measures so long as this system is in general use with the local contractors. Grade elevations, however, are to be in metric and to the Geodetic Survey of Canada.

When an engineer’s involvement is required, the original application drawings are to be sealed and signed by a registered professional engineer.

If applicable, the original application drawings to be approved and signed by the Design Consultant.


The Building Permit fee is due at the time of your Swimming Pool Permit application and is based on the value of construction set out in the Building Bylaw.

If required, a damage deposit must be paid at time of application.

After you Apply

The Trees and Landscape Department will also do a review of the application to determine if there are any tree protection requirements.

Once the Plan Reviewer and Tree Department are satisfied that all the requirements have been met, the permit will be issued and the applicant will be notified.

The swimming pool and the area surrounding the pool must be enclosed within a non-climbable fence equipped with a self-closing, self-latching, lockable gate complying with the Surrey Private Swimming Pool Fencing Bylaw No. 4450. Pool covers are not an acceptable alternative to a fence that complies with the Bylaw.

Other Permit Information

Above-ground Swimming Pools

Above ground swimming pools should be engineered, factory built kits. Electrical components must bear evidence of approval by CSA, or another recognized certification agency. A Building Permit must be issued to confirm the siting, and to ensure that the required fencing is in place. A Plumbing Permit may also be required to ensure proper drainage and that the water supply is equipped with a backflow prevention device. An Electrical Permit may also be required for some above ground pool assemblies.

If the pool structure is more than 600 mm (24 inches) above grade then the area of the swimming pool will be included in the calculation of total lot coverage. If specifications are not available, or the pool is oversized, then a P.Eng may be required to certify the structural integrity of the pool.

Indoor Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs

An indoor swimming pool or hot tub can result in conditions where the indoor relative humidity exceeds normal values. This increased humidity must be addressed either through the installation of a mechanical ventilation system or by constructing a wall designed to work under humid conditions. In either case, a design from a registered professional is required.

All doors leading into the pool area must be self-closing, self-latching and lockable doors.