80 Avenue Improvements Between 120 St and King George Blvd
The City is investing in 80 Avenue to improve traffic flow, road safety, and neighbourhood access.
80 Avenue from 120 Street to King George Boulevard is a key east-west corridor serving Newton, Surrey’s most populous town centre. Improvements along this corridor are needed to help reduce congestion, prepare for future growth, and increase road safety for all road users. Key corridor highlights of 80 Avenue include the following:
- Residents use 80 Avenue to access homes, jobs, businesses, shops, banquet halls, places of worship and more.
- 80 Avenue is also a major truck route. Keeping traffic moving is essential for the movement of goods and services and our economy.
- Traffic volumes currently along 80 Avenue range from 15,000 Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) to 18,000 AADT which generally warrant road widening to four lanes.
- Certain sections along this corridor are lacking in proper cycling and walking paths.
The City plans to widen 80 Avenue between 120 Street and King George Boulevard from 2 to 4 travel lanes to help reduce delays and prepare for future growth. It is anticipated that congestion will increase / traffic will get worse with Newton’s projected residential, commercial, and employment growth.
We also plan to add multiuse paths for safer cycling and walking to give residents more travel options.
80 Avenue improvements will be done in multiple projects with varying timelines.
- 80 Avenue: 120 St to 128 St - Construction anticipated to begin in fall 2022 with completion in 2023.
- 80 Avenue: 128 St to 132 St - Completed in 2018.
- 80 Avenue: 132 St to King George Boulevard - Under design. Construction timing to be determined. Watch this page for updates.
Summary of Improvements
Improvements for 80 Avenue Between 120 Street and 128 Street include:
- Repaving and widening the road from 2 to 4 travel lanes
- Improving access, safety and circulation with a new traffic signal at 122 Street and a new pedestrian crossing at 26 Street
- Adding two-way left-turn lanes, where possible, to allow full movement access to the commercial businesses along the corridor
- Adding paths for safer cycling and walking
80 Avenue improvements will provide the following benefits to Surrey residents using this corridor:
Improved Traffic Flow
- Repaving and widening from 2 to 4 vehicle lanes will improve traffic movement and reduce delays throughout the area. Providing additional vehicle lanes will require the removal of on-street parking along 80 Avenue.
- Building road capacity now with additional vehicle lanes and multiuse paths for cycling and walking will help us prepare for the future to serve residential, commercial, and employment growth in Newton.
Increased Road Safety & Travel Options
- Installing traffic signals, street lighting, pedestrian crossings and medians will improve safety for all road users.
- Adding multiuse paths will make cycling and walking easier and safer so residents can get around in a way that is healthier, more affordable, and better for the environment.
- Adding two-way left-turn lanes where possible will allow full movement access to the commercial businesses along the corridor.
- Adding pedestrian crossing and signals will improve neighbourhood access.
Below are typical cross-sections for 80 Avenue Improvements Between 120 Street and 128 Street.