Learn how to connect or disconnect from the City's water distribution system.

Before connecting to the City of Surrey’s water system, you must apply and receive approval from the City. The City is not obligated to supply water when the cost of doing so creates an additional burden upon the revenues of the system.

Types of Applications

All of the following forms must be submitted to the 2nd Floor Counter at City Hall.

New and replacement services application

For new and replacement services, fill out the application form labelled Schedule A from the Surrey Waterworks Regulation Bylaw. The registered owner(s) of the property (no agents) must complete and sign the form, acknowledging the two liability clauses.

Temporary service application

For temporary service applications, the property owner is responsible for installing and maintaining the connection, which must conform to the conditions listed in the Surrey Waterworks Regulation Bylaw. A completed Schedule A1 application form from the bylaw is required to initiate the request.

Learn more about water main extensions.

Learn more about water use during construction.

Water Turn Off/On

The City can temporarily or permanently turn on or off the water service to a property.

For temporary service turn off:

  • The City turns off the water at a curb stop at the property line.
  • The information on the relevant fees can be found in Schedule D1 of the Surrey Waterworks Regulation Bylaw.

For permanent turn off:

  • The City caps the water service and terminates the water account.
  • The owner is not responsible for any water charges until a new service connection is applied and a new account set up.
  • The cost of capping is 100% of the actual cost.

Any property owner who wants to ask for a temporary or permanent turn off needs to contact the City's Engineering Front Counter Services at engineering@surrey.ca or 604-591-4340.

Locate Your Water Service

You can use COSMOS to look up the location of your water service.


For more information on the processes above, contact Engineering Front Counter Services at engineering@surrey.ca or 604-591-4340.

Operation Pressure & Fire Flow

Consultants who design sprinkler and fire protection systems for private properties can request water system operation information from the City.

For information on pressures, available fire flows, and residual pressures, complete a fire flow information request form and email it to fireflowinfo@surrey.ca or fax it to 604-591-8693. No telephone requests are available at this time.