Great Northern Rail Right of Way - Harvie Road
See how this 22-mile rail line, which opened in 1891, was instrumental in the economic development of Cloverdale.
Heritage Area: Clayton, Port Kells
Site #: 216
Location: Harvie Road from 176 Street to No. 1 Highway
Registered: January 12, 2004
Description: A 22 mile rail line opened in 1891, operated by the New Westminster – Southern Railway and then by the Great Northern Railway. For a time this was the only rail link between the US and Canada west of the Rockies. It was instrumental in the economic development of Cloverdale. A portion of the former rail bed skirting the eastern end of Grandview Heights has been identified. This exemplifies the significant role of rail transportation in stimulating growth and contributing to the historical identity of Surrey.