1912 Municipal Hall
The story of Surrey's first municipal hall is one of evolution and re-use that continues today.
The history of the 1912 Municipal Hall is one of evolution and re-use. The building is a heritage site protected by a Heritage Designation By-Law in 1980 and is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places. Its heritage value is not only in its history and architecture, but also in its ability to adapt to viable reuse in changed circumstances.
- 1881: Surrey’s first municipal hall (AKA Town Hall) was constructed at Surrey Centre, quickly became too small for the growing municipality.
- 1910: A sum of $18,000 was allocated for a new municipal hall. A Building Committee of Reeve Tom Sullivan and Councillors R. D. McKenzie and C.M.C. Carncross selected Cloverdale as the site. J.H. Vickers was awarded the contract and C.H. Clow was the Architect.
- 1912: Council held the first meeting in the new Municipal Hall. All civic affairs would be held in the building.
- 1953: An annex, designed by John Furiak, Superintendent of Works, was built as an extension of the 1912 Municipal Hall by the municipal construction crew.
- 1963: Surrey’s third Municipal Hall opens on King George Highway and Highway 10. The RCMP and Justice facilities take over the entire 1912 Municipal Hall building.
- 1973: The annex was demolished as a new RCMP building is constructed nearby in Cloverdale.
- 1976: The 1912 Municipal Hall was renovated to house the Cloverdale Library.
- 1988: The 1912 Municipal Hall becomes the home of the Cloverdale Seniors Centre.
- 2006: The Surrey Archives moves into the 1912 Municipal Hall, following extensive renovations to safeguard archival materials.
Heritage Area: Cloverdale
Site #: 2
Address: 17671 56th Avenue
Registered: June 3, 1997
Significance: Architectural, Historical
Description: Neo-Tudor style consisting of rough cut stone cladding, masonry and false half timber. Built in 1912, the second Municipal Hall was in use until 1962.
Protected by Surrey Municipal Heritage Sites Designation Bylaw, 1980, No. 6442.
Listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places