Agriculture & Food Policy Advisory Committee
The Agriculture & Food Policy Advisory Committee protects, enhances and promotes agriculture.
The Agriculture and Food Policy Advisory Committee (AFPAC), formerly known as the Agriculture and Food Security Advisory Committee, assists City Council in developing plans to sustain the agricultural community and improve agricultural viability in Surrey.
Committee Chair: Councillor Hundial
Learn more about the Committee's function in the AFPAC Terms of Reference.
For questions regarding the Agriculture and Food Policy Advisory Committee, please contact Chelsea Eagles by email at email@example.com or by telephone at 604-501-7556.
2020 Meeting Schedule
- January 14, 2020
- February 4, 2020
- March 3, 2020
- April 7, 2020
- May 5, 2020
- June 2, 2020
- July 7, 2020
- September 8, 2020
- October 6, 2020
- November 3, 2020
- December 1, 2020
Virtual Meeting Attendance
Should you wish to join and observe the virtual Agriculture and Food Policy Advisory Committee meeting via Teams, please contact Chelsea Eagles at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12:00 p.m. on the day before the meeting. You will need to provide your full name and an e-mail address. A Microsoft Teams Meeting Link will be forwarded to you. Please ensure that your microphone and camera are turned off for the duration of the meeting.
Role of Agriculture and Food Policy Advisory Committee
In 1995, the City of Surrey became the first municipality in the Lower Mainland to establish an Agricultural Advisory Committee and is now one of the longest functioning in the province.
AFPAC plays a prominent role in protecting, enhancing, and promoting agriculture and has:
- assisted with the development of agricultural policies in the Official Community Plan;
- played an active role in Surrey's land development review process and preparation of Neighbourhood Plans;
- supported investment in a comprehensive flood control strategy for the Nicomekl and Serpentine watersheds;
- promoted initiatives to increase the viability and productivity of farms and the farming community;
- implemented measures to address conflict in the rural-urban interface;
- promoted best agricultural practices for farm operations;
- reviewed and made recommendations to Council regarding subdivisions, rezonings, and development applications in and adjacent to the ALR; and
- prepared the Surrey Agricultural Plan.