Semiahmoo Trail was used as early as 1858 during the Gold Rush.
Heritage Area: Elgin
Site #: 1
Location: From 16 Avenue north to Nicomekl River
Description: June 3, 1997
Description: Used as early as 1858 during the Gold Rush as an overland entry route for Americans attempting to avoid the official licensing cost and miners head tax. The trail was later established by European settlers in the 1860's. In 1872, the provincial government widened the trail to accommodate wagons and to formalize the route between Blaine and Fort Langley, serving as the main road leading to the U.S. border throughout the remainder of the century. When the 'Peace Arch Highway' was surveyed in 1932, the portion of the trail south of the Nicomekl River was shifted eastward and left the trail in a natural state. Today, Semiahmoo Trail serves as a greenspace that has remained largely unpaved and that provides a peaceful place to walk and interact with wildlife.
Protected by Surrey Heritage Designation Bylaw, 2004, No. 15280.
Listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.