Apply for a Condo and Townhouse Renovation Building Permit for renovations within multi-family dwellings. 

You need a building permit in Surrey to renovate a townhouse or condominium unit where the scope of work may include:

  • adding, moving, or removing walls,
  • modifying the exterior envelope, such as adding a window, 
  • modifying any structural element of the building, 
  • finish the basement of a townhouse unit, 
  • adding, moving, or removing any plumbing fixtures. 

A building permit is not required to change flooring, cabinets, countertops or replacing plumbing fixtures in the same location. However, separate plumbing, electrical and sprinkler permits may be required.

How to apply

Complete the Building Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey's Building Division by email, or in-person by appointment.

Digital permit intakes

Planning & Development permits can be submitted by email to Before submitting your application, please review the Digital Submission Guideline. You will be contacted once we have reviewed your submission.

All permit application processes will remain the same, apart from receiving the physical document copies. Hard copies of permit application submissions may be necessary and requested depending on the scope of work and project size, upon completion of the digital submission.

Professionals you may need

A Registered Professional (RP) is required if any structural element or common property of the building is affected. A Schedule B is to accompany any signed and sealed drawing.

Required documents

Include the following documents with your Building Permit:

  • a Building Permit Application Form;
  • an Owner Authorization Form (if the applicant is not the owner);
  • Strata Council approval for scope of work proposed, signed by a member of Strata Council; 
  • a Schedule B is to accompany any drawing that have been sealed and signed by a Registered Professional; 
  • a Coordinating Registered Professional is required if there is more than one Registered Professional; and 
  • Certificate of Liability insurance for each Registered Professional. 

Required drawings

Include the following plans with your Building Permit:

Refer to the Condo and Townhouse Renovation Bulletin for examples of acceptable drawings.

Other drawings that may be required are:

  • signed and sealed structural drawings if any structural modifications are proposed; 
  • signed and sealed architectural drawings if modifications to common property are proposed;
  • an elevation drawing if an existing basement window will be enlarged;
  • an elevation and cross section if a new window well will be installed; 
  • sprinkler drawings if any modifications to the sprinkler system are proposed; and 
  • a plumbing isometric drawing if any fixtures are being added, moved, or removed.  


The Building Permit fee is due at the time of application for your Condo and Townhouse Renovation Building Permit and it will be based on the declared value of construction.