Building Envelope Remediation Permit
Apply for a Building Envelope Remediation Permit for building envelope repairs
Building Permit for Envelope Remediation
You need a Building Envelope Remediation Permit in Surrey for all building envelope repairs.
How to apply
Completed the Building Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey’s Building Division.
Professionals you may need
A Registered Professional (RP) is required to provide a Schedule B to accompany signed and sealed drawings. A Coordinating Registered Professional (CRP) is required to provide a Schedule A if there will be more than one RP.
Planning Division approval will be required if the building envelope repairs include changes to the appearance of the building such as a change in material or colour.
The following will be required for review by the Area Planning Division:
- samples of the proposed new material or colour; and
- photographs of the existing elevations and elevation drawings incorporating the proposed changes.
Contact the Area Planning Division Front Counter at 604-591-4448 for more information on pre-approval.
Include the following documents with your Building Envelope Remediation Permit application:
- a Building Permit Application Form;
- an Owner Authorization Form (if the Applicant is not the Owner);
- a letter from the Owner acknowledging scope of the proposed work*;
- a Schedule A*;
- a Schedule B for the Architectural Discipline**;
- a Schedule B for the Structural Discipline***;
- a Homeowner Protection Office (HPO) Building Envelope Renovation Schedule (if applicable).
* If the Owner is a strata corporation, the Owner information should reflect the strata name and information.
** A registered professional must accept responsibility for the following architectural items of Schedule B:
- 1.5 and 1.6
- 1.16 – at least "exterior finishes"
- 1.17 – if any repairs occur below grade
- 1.18 through 1.23.
*** A Schedule B will not be accepted without corresponding drawings/details. If the registered professional will only be involved after structural deficiencies are exposed throughout the building envelope remediation, a revision to the issued building permit shall be applied for, with Schedule B and corresponding drawings/details.
Include the following plans with your Building Envelope Remediation Permit application:
- two (2) sets of plans or details booklet, signed and sealed by a Registered Professional.
For further information please refer to the Building Envelope Remediation bulletin.
The Building Permit fee will be calculated based on the value of construction. A non‐refundable plan processing fee, equal to 35% of the estimated building permit fee, shall be submitted at the time of building permit application.