Converting a Single Family Dwelling to a Commercial Building Permit
Apply for a Building Permit to Convert an Existing Single Family Dwelling to a Commercial Building
Building Permit to Convert an Existing Single Family Dwelling to a Commercial Building
You need a Building Permit in Surrey to convert an existing single family dwelling to a commercial building.
How to apply
Complete the Building Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey’s Building Division.
Professionals you may need
A Registered Professional (RP) may be required for the Architectural, Structural, Civil, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical and Landscape disciplines based on the extent of the proposed work. A Coordinating Registered Professional (CRP) will be required if there is more than one RP involved with the project.
In most cases, a property with an existing SFD will need to be rezoned to allow commercial use. The Planning Division will also determine if a Development Permit is required.
Include the following documents with your Building Permit application:
- a Building Permit Application Form;
- a Building Permit Application Checklist;
- an Owner's Authorization Form (if the owner is not the applicant);
- a Schedule A from the Coordinating Registered Professional;
- a Schedule B from each Registered Professional involved with the project;
- a Building Information Sheet;
- an Alternative Solution Report (if proposing an alternative solution as allowed by the BC Building Code);
- a Soil Deposition Form;
- a Damage Deposit Form; and
- a current Title Search of the property (may be obtained from the Land Title Office).
Include the following plans, sealed and signed by the applicable Registered Professional:
- four (4) sets of plans:
- architectural (including site plan);
- civil (including lot grading);
- landscape; and
In some cases, submission of plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and/or civil drawings can be waived based on the extent of the proposed work. Consult with the respective Building Division Sections for the criteria and permission to waive the requirements for drawings and accompanying Schedule B.
The Building Permit fee will be based on the value of construction and must be paid prior to the issuance of the permit.