Apply for this permit for any new construction or alteration proposed within a building.

You need a Tenant Improvement Building Permit in Surrey for any new construction or alteration proposed within a building.

This includes the installation and/or construction of:

  • doors,
  • walls,
  • stairs,
  • shelving/racking,
  • equipment,
  • washroom fixtures,
  • spray booths,
  • commercial kitchen cooking,
  • ventilation,
  • dust collection systems,
  • caretakers’ suites, etc.

How to apply

Complete the Building Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey's Building Division by email, or in-person by appointment.

Digital permit intakes

Planning & Development permits can be submitted by email to Before submitting your application, please review the Digital Submission Guideline. You will be contacted once we have reviewed your submission.

All permit application processes will remain the same, apart from receiving the physical document copies. Hard copies of permit application submissions may be necessary and requested depending on the scope of work and project size, upon completion of the digital submission.

Professionals you may need

If you are unable to provide sufficient plans, you should engage the services of a designer or a professional familiar with the requirements of the BC Building Code. A Registered Professional (RP) is required to provide a Schedule B to accompany any signed and sealed drawing. A Coordinating Registered Professional (CRP) is required to provide a Schedule A if there is more than one RP involved.

Please be aware that if you are proposing assembly occupancy, construction requirements for the entire building may need to be upgraded. You may be required to retain the services of a registered professional to address the architectural aspects of building code requirements.


Prior to the issuance of a Building Permit, you will require approval from the Fraser Health Authority for projects involving food handling, recreational, and personal services. Refer to the list of projects if you are unsure under which category your project falls under.

A set of reviewed/signed plans by the Fraser Health Inspector shall be submitted to the Commercial Section prior to the issuance of a Building Permit. Fraser Health requires only floor plans and all plans must be scaled and floor areas labelled. The plans accepted by Fraser Health shall be included in the Applicant’s permit set.

Required documents

Include the following documents with your Tenant Improvement Building Permit application:

Required drawings

Include the following plans with your Tenant Improvement Building Permit application:

Please ask for additional requirements with regard to spray booths, commercial kitchen cooking, ventilation, dust collection systems, vertical storage systems (racking) and caretakers' suites.


The Building Permit fee is due at the time of application for your Tenant Improvement Building Permit. The permit fee is based on the value of construction and equipment within your tenant space.

After you apply

A Sign Permit will also be required prior to your request for final inspection and occupancy.

Landlord Improvement Building Permit

As the application for a Landlord Improvement Building Permit follows the same steps as the Tenant Improvement Building Permit, refer to the Landlord Improvement Building Permit Application Checklist for application requirements.