Apply for a Sign Permit for restaurants, offices, or retail stores.

You need a Sign Permit in Surrey for any fascia, freestanding, awning, or canopy signs that will be displayed.

Read more about Surrey's Business Signage Bylaws, and then see below for information about applying for a permit:

How to apply

Complete the Sign Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey's Building Division by email, or in-person by appointment.

Digital permit intakes

Planning & Development permits can be submitted by email to Before submitting your application, please review the Digital Submission Guideline carefully. You will be contacted once your application has been accepted into the queue or if further information is required. An incomplete submission will not be accepted and will cause further delays in the review process. 

All permit application processes will remain the same, apart from receiving the physical document copies. Hard copies of permit application submissions may be necessary and requested depending on the scope of work and project size, upon completion of the digital submission. 

Professionals you may need

Structural engineered drawings signed and sealed by a Registered Professional are required for:

  • fascia signs weighing over 68 kg (150 lbs)
  • freestanding signs over 2.5 m (8'-2") in height
  • awning and canopy signs
  • signs that are overly complex


Prior to the issuance of a Sign Permit, you may require the following permits:

  • a Building Permit for new awning or canopy installations 
  • a Building Permit for a new tenant occupying a new/existing space 
  • a Development Permit for new freestanding signs
  • a Development Variance Permit if the proposal exceeds the requirements of the Sign Bylaw

Required documents

Include the following documents with your Sign Permit application:

Drawing requirements

Two sets of drawings that include:

  • a site plan
  • an elevation drawing/photograph (colour copies printed on standard paper sizes)
  • a copy drawing (colour copies)
  • a cross section
  • a photograph of the building face showing the location of existing signage (colour copies printed on standard paper sizes)
  • signed and sealed structural engineered drawings (if applicable)

Please refer to the Sign Permit Application Guide for examples of acceptable drawings.

Sign Permit Costs

The sign permit fees are based on the total size area of each sign. Please refer to the current fee schedule in the Sign Bylaw. The non-refundable processing fee that is required upon application will be credited towards the total sign permit fee if the proposal is approved.

In addition to the sign permit fee, the following fees may also apply where applicable:

  • Electrical permit fee (if a separate electrical permit is required) 
  • Development Permit Minor Amendment fee
  • Removal Bond (temporary signs)

Other Permit Information

To expedite the sign permit application process, please ensure the proposed signage complies with the City of Surrey Sign Bylaw and any applicable Development Permits and/or Development Variance Permits (consult Area Planning to review approved permits).

Sign Permit issuance does not grant building occupancy or authorize business operations. Final approval of the subject Tenant Improvement Building Permit and a Business Licence are required. 

A final inspection of the Sign Permit is required once the sign is installed and related work (including electrical) is complete.

Related Permits

  • Electrical Permit
  • Building Permit
  • Development Permit
  • Development Variance Permit