Apply for a Sign Permit for restaurants, offices, or retail stores.
You need a Sign Permit in Surrey for any fascia, freestanding, awning, or canopy signs that will be displayed.
Read more about Surrey's Business Signage Bylaws, and then see below for information about applying for a permit:
How to apply
Complete the Sign Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey's Building Division by email, or in-person by appointment.
Digital permit intakes
Planning & Development permits can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Before submitting your application, please review the Digital Submission Guideline. You will be contacted once we have reviewed your submission.
All permit application processes will remain the same, apart from receiving the physical document copies. Hard copies of permit application submissions may be necessary and requested depending on the scope of work and project size, upon completion of the digital submission.
Professionals you may need
Engineered drawings signed and sealed by a Registered Professional are required for:
- fascia signs weighing over 68 kg (150 lbs)
- freestanding signs over 2.5 m (8'-2") in height
- awning and canopy signs
- signs that are overly complex
Prior to the issuance of a Sign Permit, you may require the following permits:
- a Building Permit for new awning or canopy installations
- a Building Permit for a new tenant occupying a new/existing space
- a Development Permit for new freestanding signs
- a Development Variance Permit if the proposal exceeds the requirements of the Sign Bylaw
Include the following documents with your Sign Permit application:
- a Sign Permit Application Form
- an Owner Authorization Form
- a Schedule B for the “Structural” discipline (if applicable)
- a Bylaw & Licensing Inquiry Form
Two sets of drawings that include:
- a site plan
- an elevation drawing/photograph (colour copies printed on standard paper sizes)
- a copy drawing (colour copies)
- a cross section
- a photograph of the building face showing the location of existing signage (colour copies printed on standard paper sizes)
- signed and sealed structural engineered drawings (if applicable)
Please refer to the Sign Permit Application Guide for examples of acceptable drawings.
Sign Permit Costs
The non-refundable processing fee that is required upon application will be credited towards the Sign Permit fee if the proposal is approved.
If applicable, the following fees may also apply to the Sign Permit:
- Electrical Permit fee (if applicable, a separate electrical permit is required)
- Development Permit Minor Amendment fee
- Removal Bond (Temporary Signs)
Other Permit Information
To expedite the sign permit application process, please ensure the proposed signage complies with the City of Surrey Sign Bylaw and any applicable Development Permits and/or Development Variance Permits (consult Area Planning to review approved permits).
Sign Permit does not grant building occupancy or authorize business operations. Final approval of the subject Tenant Improvement Building Permit and a Business License are required.
- Electrical Permit
- Building Permit
- Development Permit
- Development Variances Permit