Newton Community Centre Mosaics
Colourful glass and ceramic tile mosaics decorate four recreational facilities in Newton Town Centre.
Artists: Connie Glover and Vallalee Hoffman
Location: Newton Wave Pool, Arena, Community Centre, & Seniors’ Centre (137 Street & 82 Avenue)
Category: Civic collection
About Newton Community Centre Mosaics
Artists Connie Glover and Vallalee Hoffman worked closely with members of the Newton community, young and old, to produce glass and ceramic tile mosaics outside each of four recreational facilities in the Newton Town Centre area.
Each outdoor mosaic is site-specific, making reference to the activities and aspirations particular to the facility where it is located. The four mosaic artworks are:
- Community, a mural on an exterior wall of the Newton Recreation Centre Arena;
- Splish Splash, installed on a pillar at the entrance of the Wave Pool;
- The Garden, created for a large, concrete bench outside the Seniors’ Centre; and
- Metamorphosis, mounted on an inside wall of the Arena.
Each mosaic was designed to build pride in the community, foster understanding and respect, reflect a sense of shared identity, and beautify their surroundings.
More on Newton Community Centre Mosaics
About the Artists
Connie Glover has been a full-time ceramist for 30 years, producing decorative and functional ware. In the past 6 years, she has
- completed two major public art projects and three community art projects,
- studied art at Douglas College (Surrey) and at Laguna Beach School of Art in California, and
- completed residencies at the Banff Centre and in Japan.
Glover teaches pottery classes in her home studio and for the White Rock Arts Council.
Vallalee Hoffman is a versatile artist and arts educator/facilitator, working primarily with clay using a variety of techniques.
Hoffman has worked for the Surrey Arts Centre as a visual arts instructor and as a programmer. She developed and taught art classes for the Community Arts Council of White Rock and District. Hoffman received a BFA from Emily Carr Institute.
Connie Glover and Vallallee Hoffman also worked together on Convergence in Surrey's Public Art Collection.